Appendicitis

Appendicitis is one of the most common diseases experienced by many people around the world. It is condition in which the appendix become inflamed and filled with pus, experienced by about 7 percent of Americans.
The appendix is a small, finger-shaped pouch that projects out from your colon on the right-hand side. The appendix has no known purpose, but that doesn’t mean it can’t cause problems.
The main symptom is pain that begins around the navel and then shifts to the lower-right abdomen. The pain usually increases over a period of 12 to 24 hours, and eventually may be very severe.
Photo credit: Google
Appendicitis does not discriminate, anyone can develop it, but it most often strikes people between the ages of 10 and 30 and is one of the most common reasons for emergency abdominal surgery in children.
Signs and Symptoms
Appendicitis can cause a variety of symptoms that may change over time. The most obvious early symptom is an aching pain around your navel that often shifts to your lower-right abdomen. As the inflammation in your appendix spreads to nearby tissues, the pain may become sharper and more severe.
Eventually the pain tends to settle in your lower-right abdomen just above your appendix. This point is about halfway between your navel and your right pelvic bone. But the location of your pain may vary, depending on your age and the position of your appendix. Young children, especially, may have appendicitis pain in different places.
If you apply gentle pressure to the area that hurts, it will feel tender. As you release the pressure, the pain often will feel worse (rebound tenderness). It will also tend to get worse if you cough, walk or make other jarring movements. The pain may lessen somewhat if you lie on your side and pull your legs up beneath you.
Other symptoms:
  • Nausea and sometimes vomiting
  • Loss of appetite
  • A low-grade fever that starts after other symptoms appear
Causes
It's not always clear why this condition occurs. Sometimes it's the result of an obstruction when food waste or a hard piece of stool (fecal stone) becomes trapped in the cavity that runs the length of your appendix.
Appendicitis may also follow an infection, especially a gastrointestinal viral infection, or it may result from other types of inflammation. In both cases, bacteria may subsequently grow rapidly, causing the appendix to become inflamed and filled with pus. If not treated promptly, your appendix eventually may rupture.
Treatment
If you have an acute condition, you'll need to have your appendix surgically removed (appendectomy). Your surgeon may perform traditional open surgery, using a single long abdominal incision, or choose laparoscopic surgery, which requires only a few small abdominal incisions.
Photo credit: Google
If ever you feel that what you are experiencing is appendicitis, consult a doctor as early as possible.

Source: www.crohns-disease-probiotics.com

3 comments:

  1. 3 sevегаl yearѕ bacκ Ι
    contracted stгeρ. I recеіѵeԁ antibiοtiсs but ѕtopρed them mainlу bеcausе
    it cаuseԁ severe diаrrheа. I didn't take anything at all else and my strep went away or so I considered. A couple months later on I extracted a wisdom tooth. Didn't
    гeceiѵе any аntibiotіcs аnԁ
    my ϳaw locκed up. Аll the іԁeal aspeсt οf my face wаs swollen
    foг month. I had been rushed towards thе ER causе they aѕsumed I'd an infection. However after, ct scans and MRI, they could find nothing at all. I then designed chorea followed by intense episode of dystopia of the jaw. Right after all of this strep started off coming on a monthly basis. The strep spread to my eyes then I designed the worse scenario of erythema nodosum my medical practitioners had at any time viewed. I could not walk for approximately 2 months. I started getting better after a when but then strep started off coming each other thirty day period then every single thirty day period and then twice a month and in addition had undesirable reactive arthritis. Then it spread on the head of my humerus bone. For six months I could not move my suitable arm. It felt like it was not part of my body. I had surgery and so they found that all the head of humerus was filled with pus and there was no bone. All that was left was a shell. They cleaned it out but could not definitively say that it absolutely was strep considering that lab results came up empty. Given that the surgery, I've eхpеrіenced streр eаch аnd еvery thiгty day perіod.
    I've been on prolonged term antibiotics for six months in hopes that it would kill the strep. I've to сheck my сoronary heart and kiԁneys the many time causе strep typicallу influеnces thosе
    arеaѕ. The wеirԁ factоr is whiсh i even get the ѕtrep ωhen about the
    antibiotiсs but mу docs saу thаt іt's possible I just really need to acquire it for extended ample to see improvements. I normally wonder if I'ԁ
    tаken the cοmplete cοurse of antibiotіcs that verу first
    tіme if I'd be exactly where I am these days. I am confused as to how to deal with strep from the midst of its intense attack on my body. If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated.

    my website: what is the best thing for a sore throat and cough

    ReplyDelete